[78-L] BBC World Service Going Out Of Business Auction

Don Cox doncox at enterprise.net
Wed Jul 18 12:59:10 PDT 2012

On 18/07/2012, Matthew Duncan wrote:

> The BBC is funded by a licence fee. Said fee is paid by every British
> person who wishes to own and watch a TV set and radio is included in
> said fee. It is a criminal offence to own a TV set and not pay the
> fee.

You can, however, own a radio but no TV, and not pay the license fee.

> Every British citizen of adult age whether employed, unemployed or ill
> on benefits or on a state pension is taxed on their income. These
> people pay the licence fee if they own a TV set and radio - they are
> the British taxpayers I referred to, not that the fee was a tax.

Many non-British people are under the impression that the BBC is a state
broadcaster supported by taxes.

The situation is confused by the fact that the World Service (who are
holding this auction) is the one part of the BBC that _is_ subsidised by
the government.

Regards
--
Don Cox