[78-L] BBC World Service Going Out Of Business Auction

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. rbratcherjr at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 18 11:56:33 PDT 2012

I still listen to whats left of shortwave radio today on an R390a vacuum tube shortwave reciever. Many shortwave atations are leaving the air, the CBC/Radio Canada for example which stopped broadcasting on shortwave last month. Radio Sweden has been gone for several months now. The BBC World Service hasn't broadcasted to North America & The Carribeen for the last 2 years or so. The only way I can here the BBC in English on shortwave now is to tune in signals beamed to other areas. One of those English friequencies is at the upper end of the 75/80 meter ham radio band so I have to listen to the BBC through whatever Amateur Radio operators are talking to each other on nearby frequencies. Thankfully the BBC still transmits on a few other frequencies that are not in a ham band. Oh & I'm 53 know & have been listening to shortwave since I was 13 years old on various vacuum tube recievers some of which I still own. Nothing wrong with solid state shortwave
 recievers. I just like vacuum tubed sets instead.