[78-L] Show Pan

Stewart, Joseph R RandyStewart at MissouriState.edu
Thu Jul 12 13:33:38 PDT 2012

Matthew Duncan <recordgeek334578 at yahoo.com> wrote:
In the last few years I have become more and more interested in piano music outside of my usual collecting areas (e.g. Jazz, Blues, Boogie Woogie).
I currently own two interpretations of Chopin's "Revolutionary Study".? One is by Irene Scharrer from the early 30s on Columbia and the other is by Ignace Paderewski on HMV. Are there any other versions of this I should look out for?? I would be interested in suggestions and opinions on the suggested versions that I could find on 78.

The Paderewski is definitely one of the most famous versions from the 78 era, but there were also famous versions by Alfred Cortot, Ignaz Friedman, and Vladimir de Pachmann among others. (Now, if you want to talk about the LP & current eras, you can add Horowitz, Ashkenazy, Richter, Gavrilov, and on and and on and on.  I'm not sure if Horowitz recorded it on shellac--anybody know?)

Randy Stewart
Arts Producer
KSMU
901 S. National