[78-L] Bruckner and Sibelius [fwd]

Philip Carli Philip_Carli at pittsford.monroe.edu
Thu Jul 12 12:22:50 PDT 2012

I believe much symphonic music makes a better impression in participating in live performances rather than hearing it on record.  I cannot say that I am fond of any of the composers mentioned in these posts, but I do remember attending a good performance of Bruckner 5 iin Berlin 16 yrs ago by the Berlin Radio Symphony.  Under the circs I enjoyed it, though I remember the first horn having a hard night (and there's a lot of high horn work in that piece). I'd never choose to listen to it on record, but I enjoyed that particular occasion.

And about the only composer I'd apply the kind of invective to that I've been reading here didn't make his living at it - he was an insurance salesman by profession.  Some of you may know who he was.  My feelings about him go deeper than the music to his philosophy, generosity of spirit, and an unfortunate legacy of cultural labellings and identities.  I say no more.  PC