[78-L] 78-L Max Steiner, "Symphonie Moderne"

JD jackson1932 at cfl.rr.com
Tue Jul 10 16:12:48 PDT 2012

> Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 00:59:01 -0700 (PDT)
> From: DAVID BURNHAM <burnhamd at rogers.com>
> Subject: [78-L] Max Steiner, "Symphonie Moderne"
> To: "78-L at 78online.com" <78-L at 78online.com>
>
> I was just listening to an RCA recording of Max Steiner's "Symphonie
> Moderne", played by the Janssen Symphony of Los Angeles conducted by
> Werner Janssen. ?This record is not too well liked; ?I looked it up in
> both issues of David Hall's "Record Book" that I have and there's nary a
> mention, similarly there's no listing for it in WERM either. ?I googled it
> and found a Gramophone review of the disc from March of 1944 - a scathing
> review which treats it as little more than musical trash, and doesn't
> imply a high opinion of American listeners either, (let me adjust my Maple
> Leaf). ?I will admit that it certainly isn't a masterpiece of classical
> music but it isn't that bad. ?I found nothing offensive about it. ?But I
> guess, saying that, I should come out of the closet; ?as much as I enjoy
> the Symphonies of Mahler, Bruckner and Spohr, I must confess that I also
> enjoy the Warsaw Concerto and the Cornish Rhapsody.
>
> It's 3:58 AM so I guess I'll go to bed now!
>
> db

No one ever need be embarrased about liking Warsaw, Cornish or Dream of
Olwen. It's lovely music and pretty well crafted despite being derivative or
perhaps poor man's Rachmaninoff.  I can't say the same for Bruckner, the
worst and most overrated  and incompetent  composer who ever lived.
(speaking only of the symphonies, I could nevert get past those to ezpress
an opinion on anything else he may have wrotten).
JD