[78-L] Mae Questel

Randy Watts rew1014 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 1 16:49:53 PDT 2012

She had an album on Columbia's Harmony subsidiary in 1958 titled ON THE GOOD SHIP LOLLIPOP: FAVORITE SONGS FROM CHILDREN'S FILMS. I haven't heard it in ages, but as I recall they were new recordings.

Speaking of Questel, a friend once told me about running across a 1970s interview with her while he was looking for something else in microfilmed newspapers. He said the interview was largely concerned with her voice-over work in animated cartoons, but at one point he said she did make the claim that her record of "On the Good Ship Lollipop" sold over a million copies and "saved Decca." I was not aware that her record sold extraordinarily well or that Decca was in need of salvation at the time. Since we're talking about her, it's a good time to ask, does anybody have any idea if there's any truth in what she said, or was she suffering from the kind of career-enhancing "False Memory Syndrome" that sometimes plagues aging performers.

Randy