[78-L] Pearl CD bronzing on "Music From The New York Stage" vol. one: 1890-1908

Don Cox doncox at enterprise.net
Thu Jun 28 02:28:14 PDT 2012

Hello victrola78s at aol.com

On 27/06/2012, victrola78s at aol.com wrote:

> The digital compact disc, "Perfect sound forever". Pressed or burned,
> it doesn't seem to be a guarantee of permanence at all. Since 2003
> I've bought CD-R issues from James Lockwood's "78s2CD", Glenn Sage's
> "Tinfoil", & several sets from First Generation Radio Archives. The
> Radio Archives sets used a mix of CD-Rs, all cheapies with brands such
> as Circuit City, Office Max, etc. All were computer burned CD-Rs &
> several discs from each of these vendors have tracks that are
> static-ridden, skip, or are just plain unreadable. Chris Clawson's
> "Meloware" CD-Rs have held up fine. They are all TDK. I've always had
> a policy of not burning my own CD-Rs of titles I've bought, & have
> actually gone back to a vendor to buy additional copies if I want to
> gift them to someone. But no more. In 2000 I bought a Pioneer PDR-W739
> CD recorder, which functions perfectly to this day(knock wood). It
> came with a 10-pack of TDK music-type CD-Rs, & I bought another
> 10-pack of Memorex branded ones at the same time. All of them still
> play today, including the much maligned Memorex discs.

I think it largely depends on what speed you burn at.

Commercially burned CDs are not to be trusted. I always burn a backup
copy (at 10x).

Pressed CDs with bronzing are, I think, all from the early days of CD
manufacture, when the process was not quite perfected in some factories.
I have had only 3 or 4 faulty recently pressed CDs, out of thousands.

Used CDs may of course have scratches or scrapes that spoil playback.
Thumb prints are bad too.