[78-L] BG question

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Jun 19 19:29:26 PDT 2012

On 6/19/2012 10:06 PM, David Jessup wrote:

> Something struck me while looking over this material today: we’ve assumed the 78s have catalog numbers identical to the 45s (27-0117 etc). Connor lists them that way, I believe others do too. But those "catalog" numbers are in parentheses on the promo labels, as if referring to the 45rpm releases instead of designating the 78s.

Right..that's Victor's standard style, and there wouldn't have been commercial
78RPM issues for any of these sets by 1952. "Great Trumpet Artists" is similar,
3 discs in a packer, 27-xxxx numbers in parentheses on the labels. A single 45
on my shelf, Tommy Dorsey's "Boogie Woogie" b/w Larry Clinton's "Martha", is
27-0003 from set WPT 2.

By the way, I've had 4 or 5 of these promo sets and never seen a liner note in
any of them.