[78-L] BG question

David Jessup dgjessup at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 19 19:06:54 PDT 2012

Here’s what I’ve been able to put together regarding questions and comments here about Benny Goodman releases over the past couple days.

What Mr. Salerno has is an isolated disc from the set of three issued to disc jockeys to promote 10-inch LP Victor LPT 17 / boxed set of three 45s Victor WPT 26 (Vi 27-0117, -0118, -0119).

The white-label 78s were issued in a foldaround cardboard package with the album’s artwork on the front, and probably the rear liner notes on a separate sheet tucked inside the pack. (I have the contemporary Victor Metronome All Stars reissue in the same configuration (3 promo 78s), with notes. My copy of the Goodman Trio package does not have the notes.)

Victor also issued a 12-inch voice tracks LP: an interview between George T. Simon and BG, which – played with the 78s – runs close to a half hour. My book covers that LP, mentions these reissue 78s.

Russ Connor in "Listen To His Legacy" notes an interview of Goodman by Simon dated January 26 1952. I believe that what his source heard was actually a local broadcast of this package.

Something struck me while looking over this material today: we’ve assumed the 78s have catalog numbers identical to the 45s (27-0117 etc). Connor lists them that way, I believe others do too. But those "catalog" numbers are in parentheses on the promo labels, as if referring to the 45rpm releases instead of designating the 78s.

Tiger Rag takes 1 and 3 were issued by RCA a year after Russ Connor published his last book. I cover them in mine.

All best – David Jessup