[78-L] Alternate takes?

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat May 26 16:49:51 PDT 2012

On 26/05/12 20:48, Milan P Milovanovic wrote:
> Dear Julian and all the other members,
>
> perhaps there are some more examples we can think of. I found such cases in
> some other sessions, but for really precise observation here is one with Ida
> Cox, from 1939. Breakdown take is market as V25511-5-Vo, while others are
> marked -4 and -6.
>
> Probably there are some more separate breakdown takes that were
> electroplated and processed to test pressing, right?

I assume these were recorded on 16" lacquers, so they would only process
(dub onto 10" format) complete satisfactory takes for possible issue.
The incompletes and breakdowns languished until the tape era before
being transferred.

Interestingly, I've never heard musicians discussing this aspect of
recording. it would be like recording to tape, so if a take fell apart
they would just start again. There would've been less pressure to get it
right the first time, meaning the musicians could relax a little.

      Julian Vein