[78-L] Lubin Victor film

Mike Daley mikedaley at gmail.com
Thu May 24 13:29:19 PDT 2012

I came across this reference in the memoirs of early Victor recording
engineer Raymond Sooy
http://www.davidsarnoff.org/soo-maintext.html

"Summer, 1914: During the summer of 1914, the Talking Machine Jobbers
Convention was held in Atlantic City, N.J.

The Victor Company naturally felt that it was up to them to entertain
the dealers during their stay in Atlantic City, so they conceived the
idea of having a motion picture made of the entire Plant and its
workings, in order that they might show on the screen, to the dealers,
the exact procedure of manufacturing Victor machines and records.

After many days of photographing throughout the Plant, we were
notified that the photographer would do the Laboratory on June 19,
1914, and that we should be prepared to have a picture made showing
the artists making a record of the "Sextette" from Lucia.

June 19, 1914: We had the recording apparatus all in readiness on the
morning of this day, and met the artists at the Ferry, bringing them
to the Laboratory in autos. They were photographed upon their arrival
at the Laboratory. We then proceeded to the Recording Studio on the
seventh floor of Building #15, where pictures were made of the artists
rendering the "Sextette" from Lucia for this record.

The artists were-Olive Kline, Marguerite Dunlap, Harry Macdonough,
Lambert Murphy, Reinald Werrenrath and Wilfred Glenn.

After making a picture of the artists singing the "Sextette" the
photographer then went into the operating room and made a picture of
what he and many others thought was the actual procedure of recording
a record, but this mechanical work was arranged specially for the
motion picture. After this the employees of the entire Plant were
photographed marching up Cooper Street, about 10,500 in number.

This motion picture proved quite a surprise as well as educational. It
was indeed interesting to the dealers.
The pictures were made by Lubin and Company, Philadelphia, Pa."

Has this film ever been found?

Mike