[78-L] Buying new 78s [was Re: Fwd: Deitrich

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun May 20 15:57:44 PDT 2012

On 20/05/12 23:11, Andrew Evans wrote:
> Born 1947, first disc purchase I can recall was in 1956 with a 7/6d record
> token from an ever-loving aunt, a 10" Philips LP for the Mozart bicentenary,
> all 78 reissues: Grumiaux, Ingrid Haebler, somebody's Magic Flute overture
> from the Concertgebouw. First 78 purchase was a secondhand copy of Potato
> Head Blues from Don Dobell's in Charing Cross Road, ca 1966. Probably never
> bought a 78 new, but errors like that are what a misspent youth is all
> about. At least I learned to play snooker.
>
> On reflection, and for the benefit of younger readers (and there must be one
> or two, surely) I'll transcribe that 7/6d. Seven English shillings and
> sixpence, 37? pence right now, or about 55 cents. The smallest British coin
> in circulation was still the farthing, worth one-quarter of one (old) penny,
> or 1/960 of a pound. You can work back from that how much 7/6d - one
> ten-inch LP containing four twelve-inch 78 rpm sides of not much more than
> historic commercial value - was worth in (say) beer.
>
> Andrew in Luxembourg

========================
I started visiting Doug Dobell's in 1956, but I never found anything
like "Potato Head Blues" (was this the OKeh or Columbia reissue?).

When I started collecting it was mainly LPs of jazz, but mostly not the
mainstream type, however you wish to define it. It was stuff like the
Chico Hamilton Quintet, MJQ, Bill Russo, Charlie Mingus, Teddy Charles
and even Calvin Jackson (with that great extended version of "Love Me Or
Leave Me", which I'd heard on the VOA "Music USA, Jazz Hour"). I did go
for the Buck Clayton Jam Sessions and Lionel Hampton (including his 1947
and 1954 versions of "Stardust") though.

      Julian Vein