[78-L] Buying new 78s [was Re: Fwd: Deitrich

Andrew Evans andrew.evans at sfr.fr
Sun May 20 15:11:45 PDT 2012

Born 1947, first disc purchase I can recall was in 1956 with a 7/6d record
token from an ever-loving aunt, a 10" Philips LP for the Mozart bicentenary,
all 78 reissues: Grumiaux, Ingrid Haebler, somebody's Magic Flute overture
from the Concertgebouw. First 78 purchase was a secondhand copy of Potato
Head Blues from Don Dobell's in Charing Cross Road, ca 1966. Probably never
bought a 78 new, but errors like that are what a misspent youth is all
about. At least I learned to play snooker.

On reflection, and for the benefit of younger readers (and there must be one
or two, surely) I'll transcribe that 7/6d. Seven English shillings and
sixpence, 37? pence right now, or about 55 cents. The smallest British coin
in circulation was still the farthing, worth one-quarter of one (old) penny,
or 1/960 of a pound. You can work back from that how much 7/6d - one
ten-inch LP containing four twelve-inch 78 rpm sides of not much more than
historic commercial value - was worth in (say) beer.

Andrew in Luxembourg

Message: 9