[78-L] Buying new 78s [was Re: Fwd: DeitrichFischer-Diskau[fwd]]

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun May 20 15:23:35 PDT 2012

A little radio store in Montreal had a mint copy of a Fritz Kreisler album when
I went there in 1967 and as I recall, I paid $2.25 for it.  Prior to that was
the clearance sale at Sniderman's on College Street around 1960 or '61, pending
their official move to Yonge Street as Sam The Record Man. Lots of folk and
ethnic and unsold Disc sets for 97 cents..wish I'd known then what I know now.
That stock all went into storage, was moved a couple of times, Sam kept
promising to sell it all for a penny apiece, but its last home was the Tivoli
Theatre in Hamilton, Ontario where most of it was ruined when the roof
collapsed a few years ago.

And there was that attic in St. Mary's, Ontario over a pharmacy that had had a
record bar that had shut down in 1930 and none of the stock had been returned.
Yes, a few of us did well at that place in '89.