[78-L] Buying new 78s [was Re: Fwd: DeitrichFischer-Diskau[fwd]]

djwein djwein at earthlink.net
Sun May 20 12:35:09 PDT 2012

-----Original Message-----
I started collecting 78s in 1951.  However, the only 78s I ever bought from
a "store" was sometime early in the 1960s @ Maxwell Radio and Music on
Maxwell Street in Chicago.  Immediately after entering the shop was the
check-out register in front of a huge cabinet of 78s.  I asked the guy if I
could go behind the counter to look.  His answer was  "NO!"  He asked me
what I was looking for (I was embarassed to say:"Everything!" - So, I
said:"What do you have by Louis Armstrong?"  He pulled out several Scroll
Victor originals that were Mint store stock.  I  purchased them all for 75
cents (List Price!).
Paul A. Riseman

I had a similar experience, more than a decade later. As a kid, my family
spent summers in the Catskills. Circa 1965, my uncle stopped with me at a
record store near Ellenville, which had apparently not been serviced for 20
years or more. The narrow shelves were full of store stock 40s and 50s 78s.
I pulled out a dusty copy of Fats Waller's 12-inch "Moppin" and Boppin'" on
Victor and asked the price. The owner pulled out the company list price
list, barked "$1.25!" at me and I happily paid.

Dave Weiner