[78-L] Record collecting week 6

Ken Matheson kenmath at yahoo.com
Mon May 14 13:48:52 PDT 2012

Week 6, Recording devices, sound cards.

I first replaced the built in sound card in my
Tower with a high end 16 channel sound card.
That had an external box for inputs and outputs.
I could not get it to work, even with the factory
Help. Also got them to replace it, It still did not
work. I think there was a conflict with My video
card, and software. My video card has TV recorder,
and tuner etc. I sold the 16 channel sound card
and got a M-Audio Delta AP192. It works OK
but I don’t use it for recording. I find it better to
get a mid range sound card and cheaper video
card. The simpler the better.

I have a Creative 0202 USB sound card for my
Laptop. It works well. I use it for a portable
recorder to record from the satellite, or live
performances.  It has volume controls on each
channel.  I have the same software in my laptop
as the Tower.

I finely got a Alesis ML9600 Master Disk Recorder.
This does the best of anything I have found. I
believe the codacs in this are much better than a
sound card in a PC. It puts everything on a CD
that can be put in a computer and worked over
digitally with software, or will make a CD that can
be used directly in a CD player. This Is the most
expensive piece of equipment except The PC. If it
were PC controlled it would be nice but it is strictly
a stand alone. A pro audio recorder is expensive
for a beginner but the price is eventually worth it.
Some people like the sound from an old crank
Victrola. I myself try to hear it as it was originally
Recorded, without artifacts.
 Ken