[78-L] Interesting disc

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu May 10 10:23:17 PDT 2012

Hi DB..this one is from 1935. Ross Brethour knew Max Boag well and compiled a
bio-discography of the guy in the 70s. Boag worked as a customs officer and
also led a local band which provided recordings for local rinks. Victor pressed
them until 1939 (Boag recorded some in Montreal at first and then did them in
Newmarket and sent the masters to Montreal), then Compo took over pressing.
Boag also did some juke box records as "Harry Glenn" during the ban. Later he
had the Tip Top label in Newmarket and was connected with the group that
established Mercury Records in Canada.

But other than that, I never heard of the guy. (I have a number of test
pressings, including some oversize Victor and Compo discs.)

Interesting that those Canadian Victors sold for a whopping $2 a pop..some were
also issued by Victor in the US, one of them being the last blue label Scroll
issue.

dl