[78-L] Interesting disc

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Thu May 10 09:52:58 PDT 2012

I found an interesting, (for me), disc the other day, it was a purple labeled 12 inch Victor number S-201, (A side "Old-timers Waltz Medley", B side "Viennese Waltz Medley"),  by Max Boag and the Skaters Band, (I believe there should be an apostrophe in there somewhere, unless the band is made up of skaters).  I have never heard of this record, group or leader but apparently he's a Canadian from Newmarket, ON, (probably lived from 1906 to 1980).  The record would be after, but not long after, 1929 because it is a large label but mentions, "RCA Victor" at the bottom of the label.  I can find nothing about Max Boag in "Roll Back the Years" and can't find a discography of any other records he may have made but he must have been somewhat prolific because a number of sites on the internet are selling a "Max Boag discography" as a book.

I'd be curious to know if anyone else here has come across his recordings.

db