[78-L] Dates scratched in the dead wax

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Apr 28 11:59:28 PDT 2012

I've seen a couple of records with lightly scratched dates that seem to
have been done by collectors -- rather than use something more sensible
like a grease pencil.  I've never bothered to see if the dates matched
the recording dates.  It does seem like maybe these dates on yours are
release or purchase dates inscribed at the time. As long as collectors
realize that these are not in the original record as pressed!!

And speaking of GN and matrix scratchings, I just got a Canadian RCA
Victor LP of Canadian folk dances and wonder if there is any way to tell
if GN cut the masters.  The record is PCs-1088 Dynagroove Stereo. The
handscribed matrix number is very small, and there are absolutely no
other markings whatsoever.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com