[78-L] Dates scratched in the dead wax

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Apr 28 11:38:32 PDT 2012

I picked up a number of near mint Victor 78s at Tom Kennish's store in
Cleveland some years ago, possibly store stock..wonderful condition, original
sleeves, but what has puzzled me is that all of them have dates scratched into
the land on one side. Not pressed that way, but inscribed by somebody, and for
what reason? Victor 21431 (Fascinatin' Vamp--Shilkret/Dancing
Shadows--Whiteman) has "6-23-28 SAT" on the A side. The sides were recorded
February 2 and April 22 of 1928, so there's no connection there..maybe this is
the date the disc was received? (Yes GN, I know you want to hear this one.)