[78-L] old album sleeves and covers

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Apr 27 19:36:45 PDT 2012

If a sleeve contained a record that needed cleaning, don't even think about
re-using it. Unless it's a 16" sleeve and you can't hardly get them no more
(two points if you recognize THAT). I do repair sleeves when I have no choice
but to re-use them (16" for example), but I repair them by taking a strip of
paper no more than 3/4" wide and the length of the tear and folding it to cover
the tear, then using 2" packing tape over that area, so that stickum is never
going to come in contact with the record. If this is aesthetically undesirable,
3M makes a "removable" version of Scotch Tape that has about as much stickum as
a post-it note, and if you're careful and the tear or split is clean, you can
use that to tightly close the gap and then use the 2" stuff over top of it,
since if it's tightly repaired there's less chance of the disc coming in touch
with what little stickum there is.

One of the dumbest things I've ever seen was a library that re-sleeved all its
78s in brand new expensive .6 card sleeves (with no windows) but didn't bother
to clean the records first. So you (meaning I, since they tossed thousands of
these records as duplicates) ended up with grungy oily records in sleeves that
were now also grunged up. Our tax dollars, people..

dl