[78-L] recording sessions on lacquers began . . . ?

Royal Pemberton ampex354 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 14:50:43 PDT 2012

Wasn't a lot of that dynamic range reduction (the heavy-handed limiting on
so many RCA records in the 1940s) a way of making the records last longer
by eliminating the high peak levels that otherwise got chewed up quickly by
inferior reproducers back then?  It's a shame, there was a lot of good
music poorly represented from a sonic standpoint.  Symphony orchestras
emerge a congested mess on some passages (and that bad sound carried over
to early 45 and LPs of the same recordings).