[78-L] R&B Info

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Wed Apr 18 16:40:14 PDT 2012

Same 3 composers for "Farewell" from the same session.
Jailbird by "(D. Bartholmew)" (misspelling).
Lost Weekend is on Knight 2011 (what is this, 45rpm?) & Imp LP 9141.
What is the composer of this title ?

he
===
>>> Credit for Smiley Lewis' Real Gone Lover on Imp 5349 is "(Bartholomew, Durand & Robichaux)".
I think that the quotation "Writing credits are sometimes just Dave Bartholomew"
refers to later LP recordings of the tune, merely quoting the best-remembered composer.

In the 1994 postwar blues dg (Leadbitter et al.) Joe Robichaux is listed for the 11 Nov 54 session
(+ Bartholomew-tp, others unk.).
What personnel given in the last (current) issue of the post-war blues discography? Possibly
the one quoted below?

han enderman
===
>>> In the booklet for the Proper box set The Cosimo Matassa Story here are the
personnel for Real Gone Lover

J&M Studio 838 North Rampart St New Orleans 11/11/54

Smiley Lewis (vcl/gtr) with poss Ernest McLean (gtr), poss Frank Fields
(bs), Joe Robicheaux (pno), poss Clarence Hall (ts), poss Herb Hardesty
(ts), Dave Bartholomew (tpt), poss Earl Palmer (dms).

This is the only listing in the whole booklet with possibles in it.
Robicheaux doesn't appear in any other listings.

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 11:10 AM, <kil at roadrunner.com> wrote:

> Here's a site that gives the composers as Bartholomew/Durand/Robichaux.
>  But at the end it also says "Writing credits are sometimes just Dave
> Bartholomew", so it may not do any good to find the original Imperial.  It
> was also on Oldies 45 b/w ONE NIGHT OF SIN, as well as a few CD
> compilations.
>
> http://www.deaddisc.com/songs/Real_Gone_Lover.htm
>

> ---- David Lennick
> > Further to John W's request:
> >
> > "I have found a tidbit on this to the effect that Robichaux may have
> appeared
> > on Smiley Lewis' "Real Gone Lover" (Imperial 5349).  I listened to it on
> > Youtube and of course the piano is nothing like his work on jazz
> recordings.
> > I'd like to see the label of this record since the source of this
> information
> > also says he was a co-composer...does anyone have it? Thanks, John"
> >
> > On 4/14/2012 10:34 PM, David Lennick wrote:
> > > A request from colleague John Wilby. Does anyone have the Discography
> of rhythm
> > > &  blues and rock 'n roll vocal groups, 1945 to 1965 by Robert D
> Ferlingere
> > >
> > > He's preparing a presentation for the Canadian Collectors Congress at
> the end
> > > of April and in one reference it says that Joe
> > > Robichaux (or Robechaux) participated on some R&B recordings in New
> Orleans
> > > during the late 1940s and early 1950s. He'd like to be able to confirm
> this and
> > > maybe even hear some of them; this discography might help.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > DL
<<<