[78-L] Dick Clark gone

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Apr 18 16:11:57 PDT 2012

From: Mike Daley <mikedaley at gmail.com>
> I'm no expert on the payola subject, but if we think of payola as
> conflict of interest with financial benefits, then Clark was just as
> guilty as Freed. The big difference is that publishing royalties and
> share dividends did not make for headlines like cash bribes.
> http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/dick-clark-survives-the-payola-scandal

Well, YOU can think of payola as anything you please, but as far as the
law was concerned, payola was specifically paying a station or station
personnel for performance on a broadcast that was not announced on the
air or in the credits and noted on the station's program log.  It was
related to an FCC rule that requires disclosure of payments for
broadcast.  Mere conflict of interest, manipulation of publishing
royalties or share dividends does not trigger THIS regulation.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com