[78-L] I Have An Edison Disc Phonograph!!!

Philip Carli Philip_Carli at pittsford.monroe.edu
Sun Apr 15 15:46:05 PDT 2012

There were many 78 adapters for DD machines, two of the most often found being Perfection and KenTone, and they come up for sale pretty regularly.  I have two KenTones, one strictly lateral and another with a rotating soundbox in order to set it to also play Pathes and other vertical-cut discs; although the latter is more versatile, the former seems to do a better job and I use it frequently.   Lateral discs played with a KenTone or similar adapter on a DD machine can sound wonderful because of the acoustical superiority of the large Edison horn over those in most other internal-horn machines.  The trick is carefully positioning the soundbox on the record after lowering the horn & arm with the lever to allow for the difference in lateral record groove pitch and the Edison mechanical drive. (Edison actually briefly marketed their own Disc Phonograph lateral disc adapter in 1913-14, and these emerge into the marketplace very occasionally - I've seen two on eBay.)

The Brunswick Ultona is an ingenious and generally very effective soundbox, but can be somewhat dangerous on Edison discs if carelessly set.  Edison disc grooves were not meant to propel a soundbox like lateral grooves, as the Edison machines had feedscrews like cylinder machines, so DDs played exclusively with an Ultona (or even on Edison's own non-propelled C-1 and C-2 electric phonographs) tend to wear very quickly, and if the Ultona counterweight isn't set properly the soundbox diamond can break through an Edison groove wall pretty easily. PC