[78-L] Anyone hoarding Greek rebetiko / rempetiko 78's??

Malcolm - Venerable Music malcolm at venerablemusic.com
Mon Apr 9 13:50:44 PDT 2012

Hello Kyle - He's got very good taste! Three of the most sought after
Rembetika guitarists! I have several on your list from collecting over the
years and on average they have ended up costing in the neighborhood of
between $100-$300 each! Some of them (like the Orthophonics) would be a
good-deal cheaper, but if you're chasing the original Victor Scrolls or
Columbia Viva-Tonals, you should be prepared for the worst and willing to
wait a long time!
Some of those A Kostis records are just seemingly impossible to find. I do
have a Dousas dupe on Columbia, but it is not one of the ones you listed
(which are the most desirable). I had it promised in trade to someone, but
haven't heard back from them in months so it may be fair game for sale.

Rembetika would be quite a strange choice of music to DJ as most of the
songs are about the darker sides of life. There are many songs about Drugs
(Hash especially) , Prison, Prostitution, Tuberculosis, Starvation, Death -
you name it! Not quite what you would want to DJ at a Greek Wedding - ha!

Malcolm

Venerable Music - http://www.venerablemusic.com
Venerable Radio - http://www.venerableradio.com
78rpm Record Auctions - http://www.vmauctions.com