[78-L] KING Jukebox Record??

Clifford Bolling 78records at cdbpdx.com
Mon Apr 9 10:56:07 PDT 2012

I finally found a blurb about this record in a discussion group.  Apparently, Al Grant changed his name to Guy Mitchell.  As Al Grant, he recorded 11 sides for the King label in 1949, but only 10 of them were released as King label singles with 'I Wish I Had A Record' being the one exception.  It was included on a King LP issued in 1959 titled 'Sincerely Yours'.  There was no mention of it being a jukebox record, there was a bit of confusion on that point, but I think it probably was.  Apparently, the Guy Mitchell Society has a discography that pictures this label, but there wasn't much discussion about that.

My guess is that, it being a rather droll tune, there probably wasn't a lot of demand for this tune in the jukeboxes so it didn't get released as a single. Probably saw a very limited distribution, probably not a lot of them around today.

CDB

Looks like a Clark Phonograph Co. pressing from here..I wonder if it's a
one-off from a composer/publisher pre-dating the actual KING label?

dl