[78-L] music making a big difference to residents in rest homes

Rod Brown raudiobrown at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 12:47:21 PDT 2012

I hope this seems entirely on-topic, since the music people in rest homes,
assisted living facilities, etc., would presumably like to hear was first
pressed on shellac.

I'd been wondering in recent times whether the "old folks homes" in my area
are giving their clients enough music of the sort they would chose for
themselves. My uncle Alfred spent his last few years in a very good quality
facility that got high marks in most every category, but the music played
in the cafeteria at meal times was apparently chosen for the staff, not the
residents. Lots of light rock from the 70s and even later. It was Alfred's
only serious complaint.

And while I was wondering about such things, this movie clip came my way.
It's a good-un, imho. We get to see the great difference made in a very old
man's mood and responsiveness, when he's given access to some of his
favorite music. Powerful stuff. Well-known Dr. Oliver Sacks has weighs in
briefly.

Here's the link:

http://www.wimp.com/reactionmusic/

I think I need to check in at one or two local facilities and ask about how
their residents get access to the music they love best. Maybe there's a
volunteer opportunity there for a collector of 78s. I would undoubtedly
learn a lot.

Best wishes to all,
Rod