[78-L] Victor scrolls

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Apr 6 16:24:20 PDT 2012

On 4/6/2012 3:56 PM, Sean Miller wrote:
> I just grabbed one of my copies of this and there are ring breaks (I never noticed those before).  The inner ring is broken at the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock position on each side.  The rings are slightly away from the meatball logo.  So, what does this tell us?
>
> Sean

That's the point.  I don't know.  The main indicators are whether there
are breaks in both rings at 12 0'clock or not, and if the rings are
close to or away from the meatball.  If they nearly touch and there is
no break it is Indianapolis, with a 12 o'clock break it is Hollywood.
If they are about 1/8 inch away from the meatball with no break it is
Camden, with the break it is Canonsburg.  That info is on page 279 of
the new Victor label book.  I've seen no paperwork in the files with any
other illustrations, nor anything about the Manufacturing Co ring labels
where the rings can be close, distant, or uneven at the lower ends by
the name.  You never noticed those either, right??!!  There's a label
similar to yours on page 135 and 204.  Breaks at 10 and 2 O'Clock were
used in the Manf Co days (page 144) and meatball days (pg 112).  I don't
know where these were pressed.  There's an example of the breaks at 12
O'clock on pg 108.  Since the rings are close, this is a Hollywood
pressing.

Until I found the sheet illustrating the four examples I know, we all
thought these breaks were just printing goofs.  Not mentioned in the
book are the indicators used on the first microgroove labels, prior to
them putting the letters in the vinyl.  Look at the top edge where the
trademarks are shown and separated by a dash.  If there is a double dash
like an equal sign, that location on the label denotes the pressing plant.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com