[78-L] Where's Vince, I hear you ask?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Apr 6 07:55:25 PDT 2012

April - May 2012

GRAMMY AWARD WINNER
Vince Giordano & the Nighthawks

We are proud to announce that our CD: BOARDWALK EMPIRE: Volume 1 – Music from
the HBO Original Series
Won a GRAMMY for BEST COMPILATION SOUNDTRACK FOR VISUAL MEDIA!!!
See below to purchase your copy!

---------------------------------------

Tune into or stream WFUV-FM 90.7 on Sunday, April 8th to listen to the
BIG BROADCAST at 8pm as Rich Conaty interviews Vince Giordano…
http://www.wfuv.org/programs/bigbroadcast

---------------------------------------

Mondays & Tuesdays
8:00pm - 11:00pm
Vince Giordano & the Nighthawks
Eleven-piece band playing music of the 1920s & '30s
for your dining and dancing pleasure -
Sofia's Restaurant
(Downstairs) Club Cache adjacent to the Edison Hotel
221 W. 46th Street (between Broadway & 8th Avenue), New York, NY
$15. cash cover charge at the door + $15. food/drink minimum
Reservations call: 212.719.5799 - doors open at 7:00pm

Friday, April 13th
Saturday, April 14th
8:00pm Concert
Vince Giordano & the Nighthawks
AND
Toshiko Akiyoshi Jazz Orchestra

The big band eras before and after the bebop revolution will be explored and
contrasted in this exciting double bill.

In the first half of the concert, Vince Giordano & the Nighthawks will bring
listeners back to the 20s and 30s when big band music was topping the charts.

In the second half of the show, the Toshiko Akiyoshi Jazz Orchestra, featuring
saxophonist Lew Tabackin, perform pianist Akiyoshi's award-winning compositions.

Jazz at Lincoln Center

ROSE THEATER in the Frederick P. Rose Hall – 33 West 60th Street & Broadway, NYC.

Everyone can afford to see the Nighthawks with “GOLD STAR”

http://www.goldstar.com/events/new-york-city-ny/toshiko-akiyoshi-jazz-orchestra-and-vince-giordanos-nighthawks

or Call CenterCharge 212-721-6500

Free pre-concert discussion nightly at 7pm

An erupting wellspring of euphoria: that would describe the vintage swing
emanating from Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks...
The New York Times – by Stephen Holden

Sunday, April 15th
2:00pm
Dan Levinson
& his Cafe Parisian Band with Vince Giordano
Celebrate the lives and heroism of the TITANIC – Survivors & Their Stories
Arts & Community Center
At Ocean County College in Toms River, NJ
Box Office: 732-255-0500
Presented by Travelingliterarytheater.com

Wednesday, April 18th
7:00pm
JALC Spring Gala
Honoring Lisa Schiff, Chairman of the Board
7pm concert in Rose Theater, Frederick P. Rose Hall, 60th and Broadway; NYC
“The Paul Simon Songbook” Featuring legendary singer/songwriter, Paul Simon
with
Wynton Marsalis and the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra and special guest:
Aaron Neville.
Black Tie dinner and dancing to Vince Giordano & the Nighthawks immediately
following the concert in the
Allen Room and Atrium. For additional information or to make a reservation,
please contact
Stacie Middleton Crawford at scrawford at jalc.org or phone: 212-258-9800

Thursday, April 19th
6:30pm
Join us to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the CUNY Graduate Center.
The Graduate Center will culminate its year-long celebrations with a benefit
concert by
Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks playing the arrangements of Chappie Willet.
A cocktail reception will follow -
Elebash Recital Hall
CUNY Graduate Center, 365 Fifth Avenue & 34th Street
To purchase tickets for the benefit concert, please contact Jim Cronin at
212-817-7137 or jcronin at gc.cuny.edu
For more information please contact Molly Yin at 212-817-7133 or at
myin at gc.cuny.edu

Tuesday, April 24th
Nice Work If You Can Get It
Starring Matthew Broderick & Kelli O'Hara
Dinner and dancing to Vince Giordano & the Nighthawks immediately following the
Broadway Opening Night performance.

Friday, Saturday & Sunday
April 27th, 28th, 29th
Vince Giordano with Andy Schumm & his Gang
One of several bands playing at the 24th Annual Capital City Jazz Fest
Madison Jazz Society
At the Quality Inn & Suites, 2969 Cahill Main, Madison, WI 53711 ph:
608-274-7200 for reservations
Or call Linda Marty Schmitz at 608-850-5401 for tickets.

Newport Jazz Festival tickets have gone on sale!
We'll be performing Sunday, August 5th on the Quad Stage.
Discount Tickets are available for our Fans!!!
The details are here:
http://www.newportjazzfest.net/index.php?pID=33031&AR=234
Offer expires Monday, April 30th

Monday, April 30th
The New York Pops
29th Birthday Gala
7pm Carnegie Hall
Black Tie dinner and dancing to Vince Giordano & the Nighthawks immediately
following the concert at the Plaza Hotel

Corporate Honoree: Industrial Acoustics Company Brian Quarendon, Chief
Executive Officer / Kenneth DeLasho, President and General Manager

Musical Honorees: Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty, the Tony Award-winning and
Oscar-nominated songwriting team of such renowned
Broadway musicals as Ragtime, Once On This Island, Seussical, and the feature
film Anastasia.
Music Director and Conductor: Steven Reineke
Host: Terrence McNally

http://newyorkpops.org/29th-birthday-gala-0

Saturday, May 5th
4:00pm
Carole Bufford
WITH
Vince Giordano & the Nighthawks
~ SPEAK EASY ~
Listen to music when love was for sale, but liquor was not.
Metropolitan Room
34 West 24th Street, New York, NY 10010, ph 212-246-0440
Tickets: $25. plus 2 beverage minimum
http://metropolitanroom.com

Sunday, May 6th
3:00pm Concert
New Jersey Jazz Society Presents
Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks
Dynamic energy transcends this music from the 1920s & ‘30s.
MAYO Performing Arts Center
Morristown’s Community Theater
100 South Street, Morristown, NJ 07960
Box Office: 973-539-8008
http://www.mayoarts.org/

Thursday, May 10th
9:30pm
Carole Bufford
WITH
Vince Giordano & the Nighthawks
~ SPEAK EASY ~
Listen to music when love was for sale, but liquor was not.
Metropolitan Room
34 West 24th Street, New York, NY 10010, ph 212-246-0440
Tickets: $25. plus 2 beverage minimum
http://metropolitanroom.com

Wednesday, May 16th
~ Spring Gala ~
NYC Opera
An Evening with Deborah Voigt
Celebrated as one of today's greatest interpreters of the operas of Wagner,
Strauss, Verdi, and Puccini,
Ms. Voigt is also acclaimed for her winning forays as a performer of Broadway
tunes, jazz standards, and popular songs.
The historic Central Park Boathouse will set the stage for an unforgettable
evening featuring a performance by
the magnificent Ms. Voigt -- joined at the piano by Tony Award® winner Ted
Sperling – cocktails, gondola rides on The Lake,
a formal dinner, and dancing to the music of Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks.
http://www.nycopera.com/supportus/specialevents.aspx

Saturday, May 19th
4:00pm
Carole Bufford
WITH
Vince Giordano & the Nighthawks
~ SPEAK EASY ~
Listen to music when love was for sale, but liquor was not.
Metropolitan Room
34 West 24th Street, New York, NY 10010, ph 212-246-0440
Tickets: $25. plus 2 beverage minimum
http://metropolitanroom.com

Thursday, May 24th
9:30pm
Carole Bufford
WITH
Vince Giordano & the Nighthawks
~ SPEAK EASY ~
Listen to music when love was for sale, but liquor was not.
Metropolitan Room
34 West 24th Street, New York, NY 10010, ph 212-246-0440
Tickets: $25. plus 2 beverage minimum
http://metropolitanroom.com

If you would like to order our CDs –
I have these CD's available at $17. Each including postage within USA:
*
1. Quality Shout
2. Cheek to Cheek
3. Cotton Club Revisited
4. The Aviator – Movie Soundtrack
5. Its D'Lovely – music of Cole Porter
6. Moonlight Serenade – Big Band Hits
7. Boardwalk Empire - Volume One: Music from the HBO Original Series

****

Send orders to: Vince Giordano, 1316 Elm Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11230
Checks and PayPal accepted. Please make checks payable to "Vince Giordano"
Please indicate clearly which CD's you are ordering, along with the quantity.
To order CDs through PayPal: vincegiordano at optonline.net

See our website: http://www.VinceGiordano.com

Here are some write-ups!

To open the http: CTRL + click to follow link

The New York Times by Stephen Holden
http://tinyurl.com/7jpgftl

The Wall Street Journal by Will Friedwald
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203471004577142963839259688.html

Times Square Chronicles
http://t2conline.com/?p=8156

Artist Direct
http://tinyurl.com/3u37atp

Blog Critics
http://tinyurl.com/44mga6t

Huffington Post
http://tinyurl.com/4y7ody9

Daily Record
http://tinyurl.com/3rsg84h

Atlantic City Weekly
http://tinyurl.com/3w7zxal

Jade Sphinx Blog
http://tinyurl.com/3d59ala

Voice of America
http://tinyurl.com/3n43wcq

Here are a couple of stellar reviews that came out in July!

The Underground Boogie
Wall Street Journal
By WILL FRIEDWALD Vince Giordano is Hollywood's go-to guy whenever someone is

needed to authentically re-create vintage jazz or pop music—as you can hear, ...

http://tinyurl.com/3t3doml

Vince Giordano: Yesterday Man
JazzTimes Magazine
Dancers are swaying and sashaying in elegant ballroom fashion as

Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks beat out another hot-jazz gem. ...

http://tinyurl.com/3gy46xl

We had a great time in April at TCM Film Festival in Hollywood…

Watch this Pod-Cast~

http://vimeo.com/23188371

Or read some of the reviews~

http://tinyurl.com/3sret7e

http://tinyurl.com/45xyhwv

http://tinyurl.com/3nxrptf

Here's a write-up in the New Jersey STAR LEDGER by Tris McCall...

http://tinyurl.com/4jm3qlh

Check out this great blog by Michael Steinman -

http://jazzlives.wordpress.com

Vince Giordano's Nighthawks ~ phone: 718-376-3489 ~ email:
vincegiordano at optonline.net

Become a friend on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vince.giordano1

------------

Some times people ask us, “What happens at Sofia’s when we are not
there?”…. Please see below!

My Sinatra, at Sofia's Downstairs Theater, Off Broadway!

My Sinatra is now playing at Sofia's Downstairs Theater at 221 West 46th
Street, inside the Edison Hotel.The star, Cary Hoffman, sings over 20 of
Sinatra's classic songs as a musical score to his hilarious and poignant
story...you won't believe your ears!

"The best Sinatra singer in the world!" Jackie Mason

"Dead on." New York Times

"Uncanny..." Crain's New York

"A mesmerizing musical memoir" Bloomspot

“Mesmerizing…A fascinating, intriguing, entertaining and touching tale of
the effect a star can have on a fan’s life.” – The LA Times

  Performance schedule : Thursday and Fridays at 7:30pm, Saturdays at 8pm,
Sundays at 3pm

www.mysinatra.com

The devil-may-care style and incomparable charm of Frank Sinatra cascade
through the microphone once again at Cary Hoffman’s riveting one-man show, My
Sinatra. More than a cover concert, this musical performance explores the
sometimes strange, frequently funny, and always interesting life of Hoffman
himself, a Sinatra idolizer with an unparalleled ability to channel the voice
of Ol’ Blue Eyes.

Fatherless from an early age, Hoffman grew up under the stewardship of his
mother and four musician uncles—some of whom played with Sinatra himself in
studio recording sessions. Throughout My Sinatra, he smoothly interweaves his
personal tale of musical obsession with Sinatra’s own larger-than-life story,
densely dotting it with arresting performances of Sinatra’s greatest hits.
The end result is a mesmerizing musical memoir that completed a run of 16
sold-out months at the NYC Triad cabaret before moving to its new home at the
Midtown Theatre.

As the accompanying pianist splashes vibrant melodies from the ivory keys,
Hoffman’s infectious passion brings together this triumphant tribute to a
true American sensation.  -Bloomspot