[78-L] Victor Scroll Labels in Canada?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Apr 4 19:23:33 PDT 2012

On 4/4/2012 9:32 PM, Steve Williams wrote:
> Herbert Berliner was using Marsh Equipment?

No, Compo pressed some Autographs for Canadian issue, including a few early
Jesse Crawfords. So he recorded electrically for Marsh before recording
acoustically for Victor.
I thought the type of equipment
> being used was never established, but that the Canadian recordings sounded
> better than the US Marsh stuff, even better than early Pallaphotophone.
> Sutton postulates that the first Victor tests, which are not documented
> either at Western Electric, nor as any WE or GE field test, were done by
> Compo.. There are only negative implications, where the Electric tests were
> NOT done..
>
> I have 19571, it seems to me they are the same orchestra. The electric side
> sounds like Jack Shilkret or the International Novelty Orchestra playing
> very carefully, possibly not being used to the mic and seating arrangement.
> However several researchers have indeed suggested the Electric was recorded
> in Montreal. Sound balance-wise a good comparison is with Waring's "Little
> Peach" recorded April 2nd for 19636, which may have been the first
> INTERNATIONAL Victor black label electric release, after 19626, which was
> only regional.  I have this record in a very clean E condition.

I have a copy as well. The electrical side doesn't have a take number, the
catalogue number has a different font, and there's no other session in Rust
where Shilkret could have recorded it electrically, at least not in the US.

> Compo DID have a New York office, which probably was electrically-equipped.
> Also, though Victor did not have an Electric studio until March, there was a
> studio at Western Electric, and "You and I" may have been done there as a
> Western Electric demo.. The electric side sounds like early Victor; with
> correct mic resonance, EQ, and all. Since Victor equipment was not being
> used under any scenario for the electric side of 19571, then it wouldn't
> have to be "Victor Electric speed" thus the pitch would be off. The acoustic
> side of 19571 sounds like Victor acoustic, such as Jack Shilkret's "Charley
> My Boy" 19420.  This is all speculation, while they were alive the right
> people were not asked the right questions about this change to electric.
>
> ..  Steve Williams  .

There is at least one earlier Victor electric issued to the public than 19626
(Buenos Aires, Shilkret, March 20/25), the Miniature Concert by the Eight
Popular Victor Artists..don't have the date handy but one side of it is from
February, if I recall.

Here's the thing about 19571. The acoustical side plays in F (a tiny tad above
F, easily adjusted by taking the speed down 0.5%). The electrical side doesn't.
To play it in F you have to go down 3.8%. At 78 it plays closer to F# (go up
2.3% and you got it). I think I prefer it in F, but that's quite a difference
in speed, especially for Victor. Hmm. (yes, I just checked my copy.)

dl