[78-L] Victor Scroll Labels in Canada?

Steve Williams jazzhunter at collector.org
Tue Apr 3 17:43:05 PDT 2012

Remember that this is tied in with introduction of electric recording.  In
Canada from the get-go electrically-recorded Victors identified the new
process on the label as "V.E. Process", the VE in an oblong being required
under the Western Electric contract to identify recordings made with their
patented method.  Also the labels generally switched from blue to black,
though continuing and reissued acoustic releases used a black label.  I have
seen a blue "VE Process" label on a standard 10" dance band release, but
that's rare.. Overall however both acoustic and Electric releases used the
same batwing style.

However, in the States, to protect the backlog of Acoustic recordings
(though the story goes a bit deeper than that) electric releases were not
acknowledged in any way, except for the VE symbol embedded in the runout
area.  When Victor decided to admit to the superior Electric process in
November 1925 they did it with a bang, ads in the papers, store flyers etc.
and trademarked it as "Orthophonic."  At this time, to emphasise the big
improvement, they introduced the scroll (or Octagon) label with the "VE" at
the top.  Canada continued to use the batwing label except "VE Process" was
changed to "VE Orthophonic" and later just "Orthophonic" with a tiny VE
symbol above that. There was no big announcement of a change in Canadian
releases, therefore probably that's why there was no big change in label
style.

Just by the way, The Compo Company in Montreal had North America's first
electric studio actually releasing product in 1924.  The earliest Victor
electric tests were done by Canadian Compo, which was founded by Berliner
after he left Victor.  So Canada has a special place in the history of
electric recording, along with Victor actually acknowledging Electric
releases before the US.  Canadian Victor was AHEAD of the US, not "Behind"
in doing anything...

..Steve Williams  ..

Message: 9