[78-L] Maloof/Gennett records

Steve Shapiro steveshapiro1 at juno.com
Sat Mar 31 11:21:55 PDT 2012

Looking over Spottswood, there might have been 7 instrumental records recorded in the early 1920s suggested to be Gennett products - I have 4-6 of these issued as Maloof and/or/both "Music of the Orient" label issues.  There were a bunch of Maloof/Gennett numbers by Fadwa Kurban from 1932.  My memory is that my one record by her is somewhat dull.  Lastly, there are the 1932 Maloof/Gennett Arabic and pipe organ funeral parlor/skating rink records by Mr. Maloof.  I have not yet had the pleasure of hearing them.  For organ music on 78, I think I prefer Fred Longshaw on Columbia accompanied by Bessie Smith and Louis Armstrong.

1932.  Depression.  What it took to make ends meet!

Speaking of Maloofs, does anybody have any spare Maloofs by "Serbagi", "Murad", or "Shahadi Ashar" for sale or trade?

steve