[78-L] Harry Roy's Swedish recordings

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Sat Mar 24 03:58:46 PDT 2012

Well, as I said: there appears to be two singers on Per's disc, as well
as on the one I found in Swedish Radio's archives. And, after listening
to "The Way You Look Tonight" in your programme no 73, I'm convinced
it's Romaine singing both on "Hey, Baby, Hey" and "I'm Talking Through
My Heart". His voice is much lighter than Currie's, his phrasing
clearer. Besides: there's no reason why Roy would've changed vocalists
for new recordings of  tunes he recorded six months earlier, especially
when both guys still were with the band.
Other singers with Roy during this period (April 1937 plus minus one
year) were, apart from himself, Ray Ellington, Johnny Green and Sam
Curtis. I haven't heard Curtis, but he was listed as vocalist only on
two occasions, none of them as a solo vocalist. It's neither Ellington
or Green on any of the Silverton recordings.
I can send "Hey Baby Hey" and "Sing Baby Sing" as mp3's (about 5
megabytes each) to those who wish to compare.
And, BTW, it's a terrific series of programmes you have there, John - I
knew there was yet another importance source to check, yesterday, and
this was it. Thanks!
Kristjan