[78-L] Old Geezers

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Fri Mar 23 18:37:35 PDT 2012

Records contained abrasives that were there to wear steel needles into the
best shape to follow the groove on that record.  That is why one should
change the needle after each play.  Whether you use loud tone, medium or
soft tone on an acoustical record is more a matter of personal taste.  If
you are playing an electrically recorded record on an acoustical
(non-Orthophonic/Vivatonal/Panatrope), a practice you should avoid, at least
use a soft tone needle to minimize wear to the grooves.   Your playback
machine should have a rebuilt reproducer with the right gaskets so that
compliance will be at its best.  The arm should move freely both laterally
and up and down.  A friend of mine is adamant that one should only use
medium tone needles to play back Orthophonic era records.

I believe that as pick-ups became lighter and needles became
"semi-permanent" the abrasive content was lowered so later records would
best be played with lighter pick-ups such as the early crystals or the GE
RPX and VR.   Since even a very light cartridge will produce some wear,
extremely rare/valuable and/or well loved/often played records will last
longer when played with a modern pick up and the proper sized stylus.   The
grit in an old record will affect a modern stylus, but more so the sapphires
than the diamonds.

Ron L  (a phonograph collector who amasses records.)