[78-L] Acoustical playback (was: Old Geezers)

Philip Carli Philip_Carli at pittsford.monroe.edu
Fri Mar 23 08:45:39 PDT 2012

I have to throw in that the engineers and artists who made the original records weren't making them for some distant technology.  They were designed for the equipment at hand, and to experience what these records actually meant at the time some use has to be made of period instruments - and many were better than others.  I teach with transcriptions, playing discs electrically, and playing them on original instruments, and the aural effect and experience of each is very different.  Particularly with acoustical records, the sense of my students at Eastman is they appreciate the immediacy of records played on mechanical instruments, the amplification capability of electrical playback on certain records (and again depending upon equipment), and like transcriptions (on the whole) least, as they find the manipulations become more and more individualized according to the restorer. You don't just experience the phonograph listening to the disc on it - its considerably more nuanced than that.
PC