[78-L] Acoustical playback (was: Old Geezers)

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. rbratcherjr at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 23 06:52:01 PDT 2012

Question: What about portable phonographs with a crystal pickup which used steel needles? I had one of those when I was a teenager in the 1970's. Didn't play many 78's on it & I don't have it today. It was in a wooden box with a vacuum tube amplifier & I'd guess it was made sometime in the 1930's or 40's. Wouldn't play records on one of those today though as I prefer to use a much more modern turntable with the usual light weight pickup

Anybody know something about this type of portable phono?