[78-L] Very western sounding Japanese dance band

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Sun Mar 18 11:46:01 PDT 2012

The concept "non-US and non-Western Europeanrecordings" itself is a
misconception.
The World outside the US and Western Europe doesn't consider itself
"non-US" or "non-Western European." It sees itself as India or Egypt or
Korea or whatever. Each of these countries could well produce a
compilation of their own jazz or dance recordings, but hardly anyone
would be interested in co-producing a "non-US" jazz or dance music
compilation.

After all, it didn't take more than two-three years after The Original
Dixieland Jazz Band made their first recordings before young musicians
in Europe and elsewhere started to play "jazz", or what they thought was
jazz. Hell, even Art Hickman and Jack Hylton thought they played jazz!
Who knew for sure? All around the world young musicians were trying out
the new music, and if it wasn't jazz it was ragtime, Hawaiian music,
tango and even operetta - there are Japanese recordings of famous German
operetta tunes from the 1920's!
Certainly everyone kept an eye on what was happening in the US as far as
jazz goes, but local traditions set their marks on popular music, and
nobody was thinking: "wow, we're producing non-US jazz" or "non
Western-European tango". (Tango, by the way,  was huge in Russia, it was
played and recorded in Turkey etc.) They were making contemporary music,
that's all.
So, don't look for "non-this-or-that"-compilations, look for Chinese,
Turkish, Japanese, Indian compilations, perhaps an Asian one, perhaps an
African one - it's also good for combating ones ethnocentric
perspectives which, I'm sorry to say, are all too common in Western
Europe and, in particular, in the United States.
Kristjan