[78-L] Roy Harris

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Fri Mar 16 15:01:43 PDT 2012

I am curious about a set I have of Roy Harris' Piano sonata on Victor Album M568.  This is a two record set, record numbers 12445 and 12446.  Sides one and two have the first movement of the Sonata, Side four has the "Children's Suite".  I'm not familiar with this work but side three must have the 2nd, 3rd and 4th movements of the Sonata but on the label it says:

First Violin
Ave Verum Corpus
(Mozart - Arr. by Hans Sitt)
Members of the Rothschild's Quartet
(Recorded in Europe)

The label has the proper number for the set, (12446-A) and this number is also embossed in the run-out spiral.  What it's missing is the album number;  the other three sides have "M 568 1, 2 and 4 but there is no such number for this side, which should be side 3.  I checked in WERM and David Hall's book but there is no listing for this "Ave Verum".  On line discographies don't list this record number that I can find, nor is it in the 1947 RCA record catalogue.  I guess the main mystery for me is that I would think the number printed on the label should correspond to the selection printed on the label.

db