[78-L] Hanshaw musings, for whatever they are worth

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 15 15:06:52 PDT 2012

For many people (me included), Annette was a gateway to this era of music, partly becauseshe seemed to exemplify it--perhaps in a retroactive sort of way--and partly because hersinging is indeed quite accessible to those whose ears aren't yet attuned to the otherstyles then dominant.
I wouldn't say that she's my *absolute* favourite these days, but as I periodically go backand listen to the Pathé and Harmony sides that first captivated me, I find that I still holdher talent in great esteem. The many, many of older recordings that I've heard in theyears since discovering Annette haven't diminished the finely-crafted quality of her vocals on "Thinking of You" (Nov. 1927) or "Walking My Baby Back Home" (Feb. 1931).If Annette doesn't put in the dramatic punch that Ruth Etting or Helen Morgan often do,she's just displaying another variation of human emotion. Annette's version of "Body and Soul" makes you think that she'll be lonely for a time but will recover eventually--sortof a half-smiling farewell. Etting's rendition makes you wonder if she's going to jumpright into the Hudson. Both approaches (towards singing, not towards romantic breakups)have their place, and Annette's has given me a great deal of pleasure.
-HA