[78-L] Mildred Bailey in the News!

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 07:41:40 PDT 2012

Bailey is not as well-known as she should be. She was indeed a marvelous
and influential singer, and she certainly had great opportunities - singer
with Whiteman, her husband Red Norvo's band, where she made several
marvelous records, and her own radio show in the forties, also notable for
having an integrated studio orchestra.

She was in poor health for most of her later years (reportedly Benny
Goodman wanted to hire her in 1939, but her doctor didn't allow her to
travel).

Her native American ancestry is well-known. I agree that it is pretty neat
to see her name in the press at this late date.

Jeff Sultanof