[78-L] Mercury Labels discography

Randy Watts rew1014 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 13 18:59:37 PDT 2012

>    On 13/03/12 22:36, Thomas Stern wrote:
>    I lucked into a set of the Mecury Labels discography (5 vols, Greenwood Press) as a library discard.
>    IS there anyplace where corrections and additions to this listing are available? or any other of the Greenwood discographical
> series?
> Thanks!
> Best wishes, Thomas.

> There's an online version at http://www.jazzdisco.org/
> Can't say how closely it matches the printed version.
>
>  Julian Vein

I wouldn't be surprised if the listings at jazzdisco were lifted from Ruppli's book, albeit probably supplemented with additional information. I have several of his label discographies, and was recently fortunate to find a used copy of the Decca set at a bargain price, but I never picked up the Mercury books. Last time I checked Greenwood's website, seems like most of the sets were no longer listed there.

Ruppli's books tend to be light on information about recording dates for classical recordings. I've wondered if that's because the information is generally unavailable, or if it's left out due more to lack of interest.

Randy