[78-L] questions about a "Standard" Record

Rod Brown raudiobrown at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 15:53:18 PDT 2012

Hi all,

Late last January, I asked the list for pointers on the basics of
collecting 78s (Frequently Asked [or otherwise clueless] Questions). As
always, many thanks to the list for advice and info. I got thoughtful and
helpful responses from Kristjan, Joe, Cary, Roger, John, Matthew, and
George.

I've been enjoying John Wright's site, and am looking forward to reading
Sherman and Nauck's "New Collector's Guide to Victor Records." That will be
the first in a series of book purchases.

Today I have a more narrowly focused question. What can any of you tell me
about the "Standard" Record label?

The example I have is a 12-inch, one-sided record. The matrix number is
1216, and those numbers are raised, embossed, rather than receding into the
shellac. The label has gold-ish ink on a blue background, and I put the
word 'standard' in quotes  because that's how it appears on the label.
Below the words "Standard" Record, there is a line drawing of a lyre
resting on an open book; there is a violin, a mandolin or lute, and ribbons
and laurel leaves sufficient to join them all together. At the bottom of
the label are the words "warranted perfect." That's a little amusing, since
the label isn't precisely circular, and looks to have been very carefully
cut out of a larger piece of paper by hand, with scissors.

Below the center hole, but above "warranted perfect," is a recessed area
which has white paper glued into place, and this holds the title/artist
info. In red ink:

OLD BLACK JOE
Quartette - Male Voices
D  1216  9

The 'D' and '9' were added in pencil. The reverse side of the record is
blank, but has a rectangular white paper sticker that repeats, also in
pencil:

D. 9.

It looks like "Standard" records may be tied in with Zon-O-Phone, since I
see them, or something similar, appearing in Kurt Nauck's auctions
sometimes. Lot 697 from the current Auction #51 may be an example:

697. Standard Record 256   Mazziotta & Porpora, flute & sax:   Titl's
Serenade   Pasted on a ZonPZ

I'd be interested in knowing anything more about "Standard" Record 1216
described above, and if it's a pasted-over Zon-O-Phone, what the purpose of
the label change might have been. Any idea about the year of release?

(One of these days, I'll put together a personal website, on which I can
post photos and audio, so we don't have to read such long, wordy
descriptions. Thanks for wading through the above!)

Best,
Rod