[78-L] Toscanini and Waldteufel

Valerie Langfield rcq at minuet.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 13 14:59:38 PDT 2012

>As for simply adjusting it for a larger orchestra, the original
>orchestration is big to begin with, and, with an obvious unique
>exception, standard in Waldteufel dances: strings, double woodwind +
>piccolo, 4 horns, 2 cornets, 3 trombones, ophicleide or euphonium,
>tympani, side/bass drums, cymbals, triangle, and of course sleigh bells.
Not just standard for Waldteufel - this was a standard line-up in 19th C
orchestration, especially in opera, from at least Balfe's time (his
Bohemian Girl dates from 1843, but his earlier operas use the same
line-up). The extra piccolo was less common (it would usually be played
by the second flautist). William Vincent Wallace (who composed Maritana,
one of the big hits of the day) used an even larger orchestra. The
euphonium was used in the later part of the century as ophicleides and
their earlier version, the serpent, fell out of fashion. There were
usually two percussionists, one on bass drum and cymbals (the bass drum
had an attachment for cymbals, to enable both instruments to be played
by one player) and one on snare/side drum and triangle. I'd have to see
a score to know whether a third percussionist really was needed for the
sleigh bells, or whether one of the other players could manage them. :)

Waldteufel's orchestral set-up is absolutely normal for his period. Did
Toscanini really alter this? I can't see the need, so I'd love to know.

Valerie Langfield

--
Valerie Langfield
www.rogerquilter.co.uk