[78-L] Alfie Noakes (Trumpet)

RUSSELL BARNES r.barnes4 at btopenworld.com
Tue Mar 13 04:16:10 PDT 2012

Trumpeter Alfie Noakes (from Toronto, Canada) came to the UK circa 1930 and - after a struggle - made quite a name for himself in various British Bands.   Alfedo, Dave Frost, Lew Stone, Geraldo, Maurice Winnick, Harry Roy etc.   Close chum of AL Bowlly with whom he shared Hotel accommodation when on the road.

In 1964 I discovered Alfie was living quite close to me in Bournemouth.  One day - armed with a primitive tape recorder - I invited him to chat about his recollections and experiences.  That was 48 years ago.

The small reel of tape went missing and was forgotten.   However, it has been found.       It is, of course, fragile but playable.   With care and the help of Sound Forge I'm stealthily recovering and converting it to an MP3 file.

His comments and recollections of the UK period are largely missing,
however his comments about his early music life and the music scenes in Canada, and for a while in the USA, have been saved.

Russ Barnes
Dorset, UK