[78-L] Wallenstein Broadcast

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Mar 12 15:13:19 PDT 2012

Can anyone date an Alfred Wallenstein Academy of Music broadcast on AFRS
(Series H-88 #6)? Most of those discs give the original broadcast dates but
this one doesn't. References are made to "the recent war" so we know it's 1946
or later. Selections include 3/4 of Gillis's Symphony 5 1/2 and Robert Ward's
Jubilation Overture (premiered after "his return to New York, last March"). I'm
just curious whether the Gillis was premiered here or by Toscanini, who usually
gets the credit..the score seems different in this performance.