[78-L] Nazi rules for jazz performers

Benno Häupl goldenbough at arcor.de
Sun Mar 11 12:20:27 PDT 2012

.
I tend to classify this particular "10 point regulation" as an urban
myth. Simply because nobody has even found an original (!)
enameled metal sign saying "Swing tanzen verboten!" - or a
contemporary photo on which you could see such a sign. Yes,
it's easy to make up such a thing. We all know such jokes about
musicians, blues (you can't play the Blues if your name is Kevin)
and the like.

I would like to see a copy of this regulation. What annoys me in
all this that such phony nazi jokes distract from the factual horror
caused by the nazi regime - both inside and outside of Germany.

It is much more likely that the quoted restrictions (or similar ones)
were valid for broadcasting services. I have seen, myself, lists of
classified and restricted musical renditions at AFN Berlin (American
Forces Network) when I was working there.

On many government radio stations worldwide there are similar
restrictions applied today. In some countries this is even regulated
by law, e.g. in many Arabic countries. More precisely, a certain
percentage of music broadcast must be in the national language.
I know for sure that there is a minimum percentage of national
music to be played on Austrian and Swiss radio stations.

Benno