[78-L] An Orchestra Rehearsal

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Wed Mar 7 22:42:38 PST 2012

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear;  this record, a 10 inch RCA Red Seal 78, is not an actual rehearsal, it appears to be a production demonstrating a rehearsal.  As I said, it's either supposed to be comical or just a portrayal of what happens in a rehearsal.  It may or may not be scripted but since a composer is listed, I assume it is.  Most likely it's along the lines of Britten's "Young Person's guide to the Orchestra".

But talking about actual rehearsal recordings, one of my favourites is Ansermet rehearsing Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique.  I've only seen this LP once, when I borrowed it from the CBC record library many years ago.  When I more recently went to borrow it again so I could copy it, we found that it had disappeared from the library, along with its cards from the card index.

db