[78-L] orphan label cds

Bill McClung bmcclung78 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 19:34:07 PST 2012

There is a question here but first the situation:

This June through September the Buddy Holly Museum in Lubbock, TX is having
an exhibit based on my collection of Texas label 78s.  There will be four
galleries: an overview, West Texas labels, Texas label 78s that made the
Billboard charts, Spanish Texas label 78s.

There will be a speaker series and a concert series.  There will be items
produced for the gift shop.

We are talking of producing a set of cds that would contain for the most
part recordings made on now orphaned labels.  We are trying to get
permissions from the labels we know have passed to other owners (Duke,
Peacock, Gold Star, Macy's, Word, Ideal, Falcon).

My question is this----what do we need to look out for if we do create
these cds or permit downloads?   Or if we use images of the labels in ads
or other merchandise?  We are also trying to "construct" a virtual juke box
to let people choose the songs played at the exhibit.  Each person would be
given juke box tokens with their admission tickets and could use the tokens
to play songs.

What do we need to look out for and be aware of?