[78-L] largest record collection (in Pittsburgh)

Anthony G Pavick pavukanton at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 12:17:46 PST 2012

I can only speak from having been a customer of his when he was
located above the post office on McKnight Road in Ross Township, a
suburb of Pittsburgh. In the early 1990s, his pricing model on
'garden variety' elpees from his stock was a base of $5 and then $1
for very year old it was. Therefore a copy of the 1964 Pat Boone
album Days of Wine and Roses would set you back 31 smackers in 1990.
I have to wonder if this thought process account for his overblown valuation.

Has there ever been an independent valuation of what he has? I have
never heard of one.

While I have no problem with him selling promos as such, I do have a
problem with him selling records bought for the business at wholesale
as if they were his, when in fact Record Rama, the business, is the
actual owner. Granted, he owned the business, but it just doesn't sit
right with me. And as I said, I have issues with him selling CD-Rs of
out of print titles and can't imagine why the RIAA doesn't go after
him rather than a person who swapped a few mp3s.

He has a certain grandeous style about him, as indicated via his
varous products such as the Spin Clean, a K Tel/ Ronco type product
(http://www.spincleanrecordwasher.com/about.html) and his MusicMaster
directory that he claimed to list every effing record ever released.
His boisterous nature, a la Senator Claghorn from Allen's Alley, got
old really fast.

Every CD he sold had a 1 inch square yellow price/ advertising
sticker on the jewel case that could not be removed as the adhesive
was so strong. I still have CDs with the bloody thing firmly stuck.
This may seem piddly, but it seems that he loved the business more
than the actual music.

He hawked over priced record sleeves, over priced because he took
bog-standard ones and printed a box on them to write when you bought
the record, when it was issued, etc. Now here's where it gets
interesting, especially in light of selling of CD-Rs of elpees. In
1977 he sued Record Source International, Billboard, and Bowers
Sleeve over copyright violations when they produced a similar product.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1144&dat=19771012&id=RiYcAAAAIBAJ&sjid=6lcEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4389,5665703